All Fit Out companies are not the same!! Part 1
Relocating or refurbishing could be one of the most costly and disruptive events in your company’s history, so it naturally makes sense to appoint the best company you can to implement the design and office fit-out. If the right fit out company is chosen the project should be planned, organized, budgeted and managed correctly, resulting in the seamless occupation of your new or refurbished office space. Now, the question arises why it is so important and what to do when selecting the fit out company;
- To ensure you appoint the best possible company to suit your project
- When you are working on such a critical project it is important to have the right team with the right skills on board and on your side
- A company that will deliver your vision
- A company that ticks all the boxes, that will deliver on time, on budget and with a solution that will enhance your business
- A solid, reputable company that understands your needs and deadlines.
Proven & Established
Nothing demonstrates a company’s credentials better than a proven track record. Your fit-out partner should be able to demonstrate its credentials with reference to completed projects, reference sites and case studies. You need to ask following questions;
- Have they provided references from completed projects?
- Have they offered visits to sites in progress and completed projects?
- Have you taken up references from a selection of their existing Clients?
- Visit their offices and observe their company ethos.
One way to gain peace of mind and confidence in your fit-out company is to take up references and read endorsements. But the real answer is to get out and visit projects, both that have just been finished and those that have been occupied for a while to see how they are handed over and how well they perform in the longer term.
- Have they provided at least 3 recent written references and Clients you can telephone?
- How many projects have they completed of your size in the last 12 months?
- Can they arrange for you to visit at least 3 similar completed projects?
- Can they arrange for you to visit at least 3 similar projects in progress?
The way in which your fit-out partner approaches the sales process is a fundamental indicator of their real attitude to the project. There shouldn’t be any room for cheap sales tactics in circumstances where you’re committing to major capital expenditure.
- Have they suggested open book procurement?
- Are they taking discounts back from their Sub-Contractors?
- Are you confident you are getting value for money?
- Consider appointing a consultant/project manager
- Make sure you authorize all variations before the work is carried out.